The following are our favorite 3 Neurological Chemicals commonly found "Upstairs" (aka in your brain) and what they do for you.
For the most part, our brains are little science labs, concocting all sorts of fun chemicals and then releasing them throughout the rest of our body. The following are 3 of the most commonly traded chemicals and what they can do for our whole operation!
Caution: Excess amounts of any of the following chemicals may make you a little... "loopy".
1) Serotonin regulates our sleep-wake cycle and modulates our circadian rhythm. Along with melatonin it gets affected by environmental cues such as light, which triggers and induces phase shifts that determine how well we sleep throughout the night.
2) Serotonin levels profoundly affect our mood and perception, which affects the way we deal with everyday stress. That also causes significant changes to our health, such as heart rate, breathing, blood clotting, body temperature, muscle coordination, and tolerance to pain.
3) The quality of our diet will either produce more or deplete Serotonin levels. It's important to consume balanced foods, especially with the amino acid tryptophan, to support the release of this chemical throughout the rest of the body.
1) Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that helps control the brain's reward and pleasure centers.
2) Dopamine also helps regulate movement and emotional responses.
3) It enables us not only to see rewards, but to take action to move toward them.
1) Oxytocin is a very important hormone and neurotransmitter that enhances our sense of closeness to each other. Increased levels of oxytocin creates a stronger, intimate bond between couples and family.
2) Oxytocin is often connected to empathy and our general feelings of care and affection for others. This is very helpful for people to develop trust and build relationships, who would have otherwise experienced difficulties with social interaction.
3) Oxytocin activates positive physiological responses, which improves general health and reduces stress.
This message has been brought to you from your favorite nerds,